Sunday 28 October 2012

Day 1: Creation (Genesis 1:1-2:3)

Day 1: Creation (Genesis 1:1-23)




Belong
  • How does the passage help me know God better?
The passage reminds us about the creation of the world. We  should consider our surroundings and be thankful for the world in which we live.
  • How does the passage help me understand how God expects me to live in relation with others?

The passage tells us that we should rule over the birds and animals, that every seed bearing plant and tree with fruit was given to us as food.  And every green plant was given to animals as food.  Interestingly it does not say that we should eat the animals that roam the earth. 
 Are we supposed to be vegetarians?  
Are we sinning every time we eat meat?

Believe
  • Try to know the Historical setting
This passage is about the creation of life and the earth. This is where history began.
  • Try to know the context
The context is the creation of life and the earth.
  • Try to know how that context fits into the rest of the  greater salvation story of the Bible
Again, the context is the creation of life and the earth.

Become
  • How can I apply what I have learnt today?
The genesis story in the Bible is to set the context for the rest of the story. Applying what I have learnt could be being appreciative and thankful for the world in which we live in and to include this in our daily prayers.
Prayer
  • Write down your prayer as a response to what you learned through today's devotional reading.
Our father,
Help us to recognise that you are the creator of life and of the earth in which we live, that you put us here to rule over the animals of the earth but not to destroy them or world around us.
Help me to make the right choices in life and to listen to your word so I can understand what I need not only desiring what I think I need.  Forgive me for my sins and help me to forgive those around me for their sins. Help me to understand your word and give me the strength and determination to become closer to you especially during this challenge to be with you, Jesus, over the next 30 days. 
Today, also I will pray with the lords prayer. 
Our Father in heaven,hallowed be your name, your kingdom come,your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us today our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one.
We pray in Jesus name
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment